Blood Orange & Clementine Salad Garnished w/ Caramelized Pistachios

Post image for Blood Orange & Clementine Salad Garnished w/ Caramelized Pistachios

by Sara Hafiz on February 7, 2011

Oranges are in season and oh my what a variety to choose from the market! I love clemetines, which are such a pleasure to eat, easy to peel and great snack on the go! My kids go through an entire box within few days. I also am intrigued by the blood oranges! Man o man, these oranges with a scary name is so juicy and delicious. I made this quick salad with clementines & blood oranges, I gave this salad an extra taste with a splash of orange blossom water and garnish the salad with caramelized pistachios….Simple but oh so good!

Blood oranges are juicy, sweet and have a dark red interior and are slightly less acidic than regular table oranges.Originally from Sicily the blood orange has gained in popularity in the US and can be found fresh or in juice form in many grocery stores

I was curious about the Blood Oranges and wondered how they get that ruby red color? What I found was that blood oranges are not artificial or anything like that. They exist in nature in many varieties. Blood oranges have this unique color because they carry anthocyanins, which are powerful flavonoid pigments that exist in red and purple fruits and vegetables that can protect the human body from many diseases and are very beneficial to human health. Anthocyanins are uncommon in citrus fruits, with the blood orange being one of the exceptions.

So there you have it, not only these oranges taste good but are exta good for your health!  I think we should have a new saying,” A Bood Orange a day keeps the doctor away” :-)

Soma February 7, 2011 at 3:14 am

Blood oranges are probably the prettiest after the pomegranates. Lovely colors and yes I would add the orange blossom water!

BettyLove February 7, 2011 at 3:15 am

Love this Salad! Yum!

Jennifer1 February 7, 2011 at 3:18 am

Gorgeous Salad-Beautiful Colors!

Ameena February 7, 2011 at 4:20 am

I’ve never encountered a blood orange before – I’ve only seen photos of them. Funny since I live in Los Angeles, right? Anyway, I am intrigued! This dish looks divine, especially with the unique addition of the carmelized pistachios!

Lani February 7, 2011 at 5:07 am

I loved learning about the health benefits of the blood oranges….Dr. Oz would be proud! And I love this recipe for the citrus that is in season now. I have never caramelized pistachios (i’ve only done it with pecans) but it sounds so so good. Thanks. And the colors are so gorgeous!

Anna Johnston February 7, 2011 at 7:02 am

Brilliant colours, love blood oranges & the caramelised pistachios together… WOW!

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate February 7, 2011 at 11:46 am

Lovely! I’m always so impressed with your photos. The bright colors of this salad are incredibly inviting and I enjoy the sweet and crunchy of the recipe. Well done. When we are in Italy our favorite juice is blood orange; unfortunately, I haven’t found a brand that tastes similar in the states. I’m still looking. One of my favorite recipes of Giuliano’s is his Sicilian Blood Orange Tart. The flavor of the orange just pops!

Joy February 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Sara what a beautiful salad — I love the deep reds of the blood oranges against the bright oranges of the clementines. I can only imagine what the candied pistachios add to this dish! You rock my love :)

Lacey @ dishfolio.com February 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm

What beautiful colors! We’d love for you to share your recipe at dishfolio.com!

Faith February 7, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Love blood oranges and this is such a pretty way of showcasing them! Great salad, Sara!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 8, 2011 at 10:07 am

What a lovely simple salad with such beautiful colors, the orange blossom water must be a marvelous complement to the flavors of the salad giving it a sweet floral note.

eclectic gourmet February 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm

so luscious and colorful – love it – gorgeous pix – you are awesome!!

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen February 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm

u always seem to bring such exotic looking food with such ease I love that about your blog. This look SO good!

sharizat February 8, 2011 at 4:41 pm

i’ve never tried Blood oranges, they scare me, too, not because of the name but because of the unusual to citrus dense color (silly, i know). now that I read your post, i want to try it! and i bet the caramelized pistachios, which is quite unique, give this citrus salad nice sweet counter-taste :)

Olga @ MangoTomato February 8, 2011 at 7:52 pm

looks like we both like orange colored fruit and pistachios! gorgeous colors!

Nadia February 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm

lovely colors! this salad is so refreshing and bright unlike winter this year, hehe.

Sue @ JustforLicks February 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Sara that is one beautiful and delicate salad. I absolutely love orange blossom water. This one’s a keeper. :)

Lora @cakeduchess February 10, 2011 at 1:20 am

Gorgeous salad Sara! I love blood oranges. I never had caramelied pistacchios and can only imagine how it tasted in this incredible salad! xx

Nisrine|Dinners & Dreams February 10, 2011 at 1:50 am

Sooo pretty and resembles a Moroccan salad I haven’t had in a long time. I’m tempted to make now that oranges are so beautiful and plentiful. The mix of blood oranges and clementines gives pretty colors.

Jamie February 10, 2011 at 8:49 am

Beautiful! The colors and flavors balance out the simplicity of this salad – and has me inspired and full of ideas! I love this kind of citrus salad in winter! Stunning photos as usual!

Sara February 10, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments! xo

marla {family fresh cooking} February 11, 2011 at 1:37 am

Caramelized pistachios sound heavenly. I have never had them like that, but what is not to LOVE!! The orange blossom water is lovely in this citrus salad as well. Love blood oranges.

bunkycooks February 12, 2011 at 12:20 am

These colors are beautiful and I always love nuts with fruit. What a gorgeous salad! I saw your message about being busy. It is a crazy time! Hope you are doing well. :)

Rosa February 13, 2011 at 1:10 am

A fresh and delightful salad! Mmmhhh…

tasteofbeirut February 14, 2011 at 4:36 am

Great idea to add some caramelized pistachios to a citrus salad; love the contrasting flavors and textures. Yum.

Priya Mahadevan February 18, 2011 at 2:25 am

Wow! That looks like super fresh, vibrant and delicious goodness

Errin February 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I love this time of year when citrus is in season and everyone starts posting about it. Your pictures are so bright and cheerful and a much needed bread from the cold gray winter :)

Sumayya Jamil January 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Adore this salad, it’s so colourful and just plain delicious sounding, gotta make this!