Post image for Homemade Potato Gnocchi with Roasted Pepper Cream Sauce Garnished with Amaretti Cookies

by Sara on January 13, 2011

Homemade potato gnocchi is extremely easy to make and you will be surprised how quickly the recipe comes together. I have had a love for gnocchi since I tasted the best gnocchi at my favorite restaurant in NYC’s Little Italy called Cafe Napoli. I remember it was a frigid day on one January evening many years ago. Both my husband and I love walking around in Little Italy. We love the aromas and the excitement of Mulberry street, the entire street is full of  restaurants, cafes, bakeries, gellaterias, Italian delicatesans where they carry the best Italian cheeses, cured meats, pastas and much much more!

I also love Little Italy for its authenticity, all of the businesses are owned by families for generations and they take pride in there regional cuisines. I just love how unpretentious the atmosphere of these eateries are and how authentic the dishes are.

I have tried gnocchi in “fancy” restaurants around the country but you cannot beat Cafe Napoli’s  fluffy & light potato pasta topped with marinara sauce & melted buffalo mozzarella. Simply Heaven! However I am dying to try Sfoglia Restaurant on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Owners & Chefs, Ron and Colleen Suhanosky have received great reviews for there restaurant and the book, Sfoglia Pasta. I absolutely adore this book, its full of mouthwatering fresh pasta recipes which are easy to make for even an amateur like me. I can’t wait to try another fresh pasta recipe from the book!

I decided to do make a roasted red pepper & cream sauce for my potato gnocchi, I love the smoky, sweet, & creamy flavor of this sauce. I garnished the dish with crunchy Amaretti cookies which by the way I purchased from Little Italy’s  Ferrara Bakery & Cafe , Ferrara also have the best gelato, a must try if you are visiting NYC!

There are few points that are vital part of making gnocchi {which I learned the hard way} and I don’t want you to make the same mistakes:

Helpful Tips for making A Perfect Potato Gnocchi:

1. Boil the potatoes with the skin on.
  2. Do not refrigerate the potatoes you are going to use in the gnocchi recipe. {Potatoes should be warm}
  3. Use a Potato Ricer or a sieve to mash the potatoes. Makes the potatoes airy & light for the gnocchi.
  4. Use back of a fork to make the marks on the gnocchi. {Sauce has a better grip on the gnocchi with the marks}
  5. Do not boil the water on a very high heat. It should be steady rolling boil on medium high heat. Gnocchi tends to fall apart if the boiling water is too aggressive & fast.

Olga @ MangoTomato January 13, 2011 at 3:58 am

Love gnocchi and have made them a few times. This is such a comfort dish: potatoes, cream, roasted peppers. Not sure if I’d add Amaretti cookies, but I like everything else!

Sue January 13, 2011 at 4:19 am

Wow! That is an accomplishment. I bet the cookies add an excellent taste and texture. Delicious.

Sonia@7spice January 13, 2011 at 4:20 am

Oh my love! What a gorgeous dish. It’s so easy to prepare. Loved the recipe and voila…it’s vegetarian! :) Pics are popping out from my mac. :)

Ameena January 13, 2011 at 4:42 am

Your photos are nothing short of astonishing! And to tackle gnocchi? I am just blown away by your cooking skills!

I’d love to say that I’m going to try this but I’m going to be honest – I’m just going to enjoy your photos and not destroy this wonderful recipe. :)

Prerna@IndianSimmer January 13, 2011 at 5:18 am

You make your own gnocchi?? Wow!! I salute u my friend :-)
That dish looks yum! So good!

Anna Johnston January 13, 2011 at 6:50 am

I’m in love with these photos & have to agree wholeheartedly on your little tips for a perfect gnocchi. Just love the sauce flavours & colours here too…., in fact this little sauce is making it to my collection, I look forward to making it soon.
Thanks for sharing.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 13, 2011 at 10:24 am

I’m so glad you shared your tips on making gnocchi, because my attempts so far have been less than successful to date. Getting that light and airy texture is quite an art. Armed with this new information I will have to tackle gnocchi making once more!

Sara January 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thank you for your sweet comments: Olga, Sonia, Sue, Ameena, Prerna, Anna & Sylvie! xo

eclectic gourmet January 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm

so impressive!! thanks for your tips as well!

Jeanne @ CookSister! January 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Gnocchi truly is the ultimate comfort food – and easier to make than you would think! These look pillowy and light, as good gnocchi should be. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen January 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I don’t dare make gnocchi at home! I’m pretty sure I would mess it up but seeing you make it and armed with your instructions I’m kind of feeling the call! Gorgeous!

Lora @cakeduchess January 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Love your gnocchi, bella Sara! Little Italy is so nice to visit. We passed through there this weekend and had wonderful cannoli! I also have the Pasta Sfoglia book! I love the Amaeretti cookie crumbles on top;)

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate January 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I love your process photos and your tips. I’ve always been surprised when people say that gnocchi are gummy. Light and airy is the way to go! Thanks

Nadia January 13, 2011 at 5:23 pm

wow, I remember I made gnocchi once and let’s just say they didn’t turn out as lovely as yours! Thanks so much for the tips, I want to try this recipe and get over my “gnocchi fear” or pasta-making fear in general.

Faith January 13, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Cafe Napoli is a favorite of my hubby and I in Little Italy too! Love your gnocchi dish, especially with the flavorful sauce and the crushed Amaretti cookies!

Sara January 13, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Thanks Laviza, Jeane, Kulsum, Lora, Lael & Nadia! :)

foodwanderings January 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Geez with yummy gnocchi like this my 2011 resolution is out the door! Haven’t made or ate gnocchi is ages. I love these fluffy delicious treats and they are definitely for the experienced and savvy cooks like you to make. Shulie

carina January 13, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I learned to make gnocchi in Spain from Argentinian/Italian friends. Love it!! Such a comfort food. The one city in the world I would love to visit is NY, so one day I’ll visit Cafe Napoli. Love the video of Ferrara Bakery and Cafe. All my senses were heightened-wish I could smell it too. Always a delight to visit your blog!

dinners & dreams January 14, 2011 at 2:55 am

Sara, how clever to use amaretti cookies on gnocchi. It’s such a lovely and unusual touch. The sauce sounds delightful!

Nisrine

Winnie January 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Wow! That is such a gorgeous dish. LOVE the addition of the amaretti cookies!

Rosa January 16, 2011 at 2:06 am

An awesome dish! Homemade gnocchi are so delicious. *drool*

Jamie January 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

Beautiful! I’ve only made gnocchi once and failed! How pathetic is that? Yours are so simple and so perfect that I must dive in again and, armed with this recipe, try again… and the sauce is wow fabulous!

Sara January 17, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Thanks Shulie, Carina, Nisrine, Winnie, Rosa & Jamie! :)

Deeba January 18, 2011 at 8:54 am

As good as gnocchi gets Sara! I am so making this soon. Everything about it looks too good to resist… and your photographs are amazing! ♥♥♥

Deeba January 19, 2011 at 9:32 am

Thanks for all the ‘twitter help’ Sara. Made it after speaking to you, and it turned out fabulous! Didn’t get too many pictures because my hands were trembling, and I was in virtual gnocchi panic! Mr PAB loved it so much, he overate! Thank you for sharing this beautiful recipe.

Sara January 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Deeba, I’m so glad the Gnocchi recipe turned out good for you! Your pic of the dish was gorgeous! xoxo :)