Post image for Homemade Paneer Grilled Kabobs in Moroccan Chermoula Sauce served with Homemade Naan

by Sara on January 24, 2011

Homemade Paneer Grilled Kabobs in Spicy & Tangy Moroccan Chermoula Sauce served with Easy and Quick Homemade Naan

We have started a tradition in our family that we will celebrate the start of a new week with a grand Meatless Mondays feast. Everyone in my household usually has the Mondays Blues. Since I can’t  change the fact that we all have to face the dreaded Monday, I can however change how we eat on a Monday!

It’s a challenge for me to think of vegetarian recipes which my family of 3 males who are carnivores, will get excited over. It’s tough but I am up for the challenge. Trust me you will feel liberated that your main ingredient of the dish is not any type of  meat protein, instead the star of the dish is a  vegetable, lentils or beans or tasty cheeses & pastas.

My kids love kabobs, especially the grilled beef , chicken & shrimp shish kabobs. So I started thinking about our upcoming Meatless Mondays feast  and wanted to surprise my kids and hubby with a shish kabob dinner which was  healthy & hearty yet was as delicious as the {meat version}. I came up with this paneer kabob recipe which I wanted to give a lot of flavor & spice with the spicy & flavorful Moroccan Chermoula sauce. My kids were familiar with the flavors of Chermoula sauce which they were introduced to on our last trip to Morocco.

Chermoula is a pungent Moroccan herb sauce traditionally served with grilled fish. I think it’s great with all sorts of other dishes, such as roasted eggplant, roasted potatoes, swordfish or chicken.  Chermoula sauce is equally good in a couscous dish too. I made my Chermoula sauce in my favorite  mortar & pestle.

We usually enjoy Kebobs with flatbreads like Naan, Pita or Turkish Pide. I heart flatbreads and love making them at home. There is something nurturing  about making your own bread and serving it hot to your family!

I started thinking about making Naan with our kabob dinner. I usually make my Naan with a yeast dough which needs to rise for at least 3-4 hours, then I roll out the Naan and then let it sit for another thirty minutes before I broil or bake them in the oven. By the way check out my two friends Nadia & Prerna’s awesome homemade naan recipes and there posts motivated me!

My Easy & Quick Homemade Naan recipe ONLY has six ingredients;  flour, milk, olive oil, sugar, salt & baking powder. I also brush the Naan with melted butter & sprinkle on sesame seeds right before I put them under the broiler.

Basically I knead the dough for ten minutes, cover and let it rest for about one hour max in a warm spot in the kitchen. After one hour you are ready to roll out the Naan and enjoy them hot. I make the Naan under the broiler set on high and  it only takes about 2 -3 minutes for Naan to be ready.

Paneer is a fresh cheese made by souring hot milk with a little lemon juice and then pressing out the liquid until it becomes a firm mass. The process is simple and quick. I usually drain the the whey in cheesecloth which I place inside a colander. When paneer is pressed under a heavy weight for an hour or two, it firms up and becomes condensed and is easy to cut into cubes for numerous recipes like Spinach recipe called Palak Paneer or Tandoori Paneer Tikka. I love serving Tandoori Paneer Tikka for appetizers when I throw a dinner party.

Sukaina January 24, 2011 at 5:13 am

This looks delicious. My family is the same and don’t think a meal is a meal if meat isn’t involved! Perhaps I should shock tem with Meatless Monday too! Great post……feel like I’m in a bedoiun tent eating local fare!

Sonia@7spice January 24, 2011 at 5:30 am

OMG! Naans and paneer, both looks so scrumptious! Sara, naan came out really good and perfecto! :)

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen January 24, 2011 at 6:24 am

I want your mortar and pesto. Well I want many things from you don’t I ? haha the greedy me! Sara, this is such a great labor of work for meatless monday. I guess man are often carnivores, its difficult for them to eat just veggies.I make my naan with yeast too, and after reading yours, prerna’s and nadia post I think I need to try the quicker version.
And the Moroccan Chermoula Sauce sounds very much like say a Indian coriander chutney minus the olive oil. I’m sure it tastes great. A fab post as always.

sharizat January 24, 2011 at 9:59 am

Sounds like my family- They’re all carnivorous except me! This is a simple yet classic tasty combination- cheese and bread! I have tried making Naan couple of time before but was discouraged by how long it took. Your method sounds like a quick version and I bet a delicious one. I have to try! And the sauce- just reading the ingredients makes my mouth water! Not to mention the beautiful photos that are almost making me smell the food!

eclectic gourmet January 24, 2011 at 12:25 pm

beautiful combination!!

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate January 24, 2011 at 1:07 pm

An entire meal in one post! Lovely photos, lovely presentation, yum!

Rosa January 24, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Wow, I love that Africa meets India dish! Wraps are just irresistible. Great clicks.

foodwanderings January 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Yay you joined the Meatless Monday forces!! Love the fusion of NorthAfrica and India & btw paneer never looked this good!!

marla {family fresh cooking} January 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I don’t know how anyone could resist these gorgeous, protein packed paneer kebabs! Such a great idea for Meatless Monday. Perfect meal for everyone in the house, including the boys :) xo

Cookin' Canuck January 24, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Sara, your photos are absolutely gorgeous! The flavor combination in this is blowing my mind.

Ameena January 24, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I am with cookin’ canuck – the photos are gorgeous. I really love paneer and loved the paneer with peas my mom made yesterday. But honestly, this looks even better (don’t tell her I said so)!

Nadia January 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm

simply stunning! and you made paneer at home, wow. your pics look so mouthwatering. I NEED to make this!

rebecca January 24, 2011 at 8:34 pm

wow what a meal and naan heaven

Olga @ MangoTomato January 24, 2011 at 9:14 pm

what a brilliant idea! I’ve made paneer one time and it was so simple. should definitely do it again.

MarocMama January 24, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Can’t wait to give your naan recipe a shot!!

Tanvi@SinfullySpicy January 24, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I make skewered paneer with tandoori masala all the time.I would love to try this next time.Isnt baking powder a quick way to fix naan.I do away with the yeast when in hurry.you have done them beautifully. I would love be meatless all week only if my husband agrees but he dosent:) beautiful plates and dishes.

Bridgett January 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm

AND you make your own naan? You are a goddess! I would love to learn to love to cook with all the gorgeous flavors you use. I would be happy to eat meatless like this on a regular basis. Lovely, Sara.

Lora @cakeduchess January 25, 2011 at 12:17 am

Let me wipe the drool off my screen…wow! These kabobs are incredible. The paneer is bringing tears to my eyes. YOU ROCK SARA!

Sara January 25, 2011 at 12:32 am

Thank you for your sweet comments everyone! :) I appreciate it! xoxo

The Daily Palette January 25, 2011 at 1:00 am

Sara, your post saved me! My son loves Indian cuisine and he requested I make a few of his favorites and take pictures. He’s Star of the Week first week of February.

I’m following your naan recipe tomorrow! Thank you, thank you so much!

Nisrine|Dinners & Dreams January 25, 2011 at 3:10 am

Brilliant idea to use chermoula on paneer. I’m used to marinating meats and vegetables in it. This is a lovely change.

CHRISTINE! January 25, 2011 at 5:44 am

That looks amazing and your paneer & naan recipes make it seem so simple! I can’t wait to try!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 25, 2011 at 10:34 am

These paneer kabobs are irresistible! I mean, look at those mouthwatering close-ups, come on! I love to try and make new things and now I have two new things to try, making paneer and making naan, thanks Sara!

honeybeecooksjackfruit January 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Really terrific meal. Looks really elegant. I feel lazy to cook it, but would love to eat it!!!

Joy January 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm

aaaand this is why I am so proud to be your friend :) Your pictures are crazy amazing — Paneer is one of my favorite cheeses and this recipe as a whole is absolutely beautiful: the colors, textures, THE HOMEMADE NAAN!!!!!

I’m in visual foodie heaven right now!

Anna Johnston January 26, 2011 at 3:59 am

Awesome pictures, I think I’d be seriously able to sit at your table on your meatless Mondays :) This is one classy dish my friend ;)

The Cilantropist January 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I would love to make my own Naan although for some reason I have not tried yet! I bet it tastes absolutely fantastic right after it comes out of the oven… and the rest of the dish with the paneer, I definitely does sound like the perfect appetizer for a party!

amanda@seegirlcook January 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm

this looks so delicious and full of flavor. gorgeous dish!

Kimba's Kitchen January 27, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Yummmyyy thank you for these recipes!! Time to organise my next dinner party and show off these amazing dishes :)

Soma January 28, 2011 at 2:48 am

girl u make me want to reach out and grab the food!! I use sesame and kalonji to top the naan too. The sauce sounds amazing!!

tasteofbeirut January 29, 2011 at 9:31 pm

These beautiful photos are irresistible, along with the vegetarian dishes which would make me toss up meat without a second thought! I have been nursing the idea of making naan and paneer for a long time now and your recipes are such a good motivator! (interesting to see how naan is made without yeast or yogurt)

Lawyer Loves Lunch January 30, 2011 at 3:01 am

Sara, those naan look spectacular! I’ve never made my own but think I can with your great recipe. It’s been super cold here (even with the heat cranked up) so I may wait until it’s a bit warmer to make sure they rise and the first naan making endeavor isn’t a disaster :)

Faith January 30, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I’ve been dying to make my own paneer ever since I first saw it a couple months ago on A Canadian Foodie’s website! Yours looks fantastic…thanks for the inspiration, Sara!

Carolyn Jung January 30, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Kudos to you for adopting that “Meatless Mondays” philosophy. I would whole-heartedly do that, too, if not for the fact that I’m married to a man whose nickname is Meat Boy. You get my drift. Though, I am making progress. He’s actually accompanying me to a vegetarian restaurant next month, if you can believe that.

Quay Po Cooks January 31, 2011 at 1:58 am

My hubby is a big fan for naan and yours looks fantastic. He will flip if I tell him that I have the recipe and will make our own. Thanks.

Debi(Table Talk) February 1, 2011 at 1:51 am

I have never made paneer. I just printed your recipe to make with my girls–so excited to try this! We too have been sticking with meatless Mondays, and I know everyone will love this one.

Jeanne @ CookSister! February 1, 2011 at 10:45 am

Oh, I love chermoula and these look amazing! I wonder if they would also work with halloumi cheese?

Lani February 5, 2011 at 3:42 am

Thanks for teaching us that making paneer is not so intimidating. This recipe sounds so great and as usual, stunning food styling and photography.

Rodellee February 25, 2011 at 1:49 am

Oh my gosh, this looks AMAZING! My mouth is literally watering!