Apple & Endive Salad with Dates, Pomegranate, Sumac, & Honey Walnut Labneh

Post image for Apple & Endive Salad with Dates, Pomegranate, Sumac, & Honey Walnut Labneh

by Sara Hafiz on January 20, 2011

This salad was inspired by my recent visit to an ancient town in Turkey called Kusadasi! A gorgeous seaside resort on the Aegean Sea located near the historical city of Ephesus. Rich fields of olive trees, grape vines, fig, peach, apricot & apple trees surround this scenic city.

Cuisine of Kusadasi is very much influenced by nearby Greek Island of Samos which is only an hour & thirty minutes ferry ride away. Every day we were treated to a lavish breakfast, lunch & dinner with a bounty of fresh fruits, Greek & Turkish yogurts with sweet honey, dried fruits and nuts. This salad is an homage to the enchanting city of Kusadasi, Turkey!

Ephesus was an ancient Greek city, and later a major Roman city, on the west coast of Asia Minor, near present-day Selcuk Izmir Province, Turkey.

Ephesus contains the largest collection of Roman ruins in the eastern Mediterranean. Only an  estimated 15% has been excavated. The ruins that are visible give some idea of the city’s original splendor, and the names associated with the ruins are evocative of its former life. The theater dominates the view down Harbor Street.

The city was famed for the Temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. The temple was destroyed in 401 AD. Emperor Constantine rebuilt much of the city and erected new public baths. The town was again partially destroyed by an earthquake in 614 AD. The city’s importance was that it was a commercial center by the harbor on the Aegean Sea.

Today’s archaeological site lies 5 miles southwest of the town of Selcuk and nearby harbor city of Kusadasi.

Kusadasi is a resort town on Turkey’s Aegean coast and the center of the seaside district. Kusadasi caters to tourists, arriving by land, and as the port for cruise ships passengers heading to Ephesus.

Kusadasi has many beautiful public & private beaches. We stayed at Kismet Hotel, which is located on a peninsula that protrudes into the Aegean Sea. Our room over looked a private beach with a gorgeous view from our balcony. By the way Dr. Oz stayed at the same hotel and we took a picture of his photo displayed proudly at the hotel lobby! :)

sharizat January 20, 2011 at 5:41 am

looks so scrumptious, I have to try it! and i like the dragonfly napkin ring!

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen January 20, 2011 at 6:19 am

I loved this recipe when u posted it on FOOD52! But I can’t wait to find some time and come back and read the post in peace. xoxo

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Absolutely gorgeous plating and presentation! I can picture this beautiful salad being served at the finest restaurants.

Sara January 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thanks Shrizat, Kulsum & Sylvie!

Winnie January 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Such lovely photos of your trip (I am dying to travel to that part of the world) and the salad looks completely amazing!

Rosa January 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Labneh is so fresh and pleasant. That salad is extremely refined and so original. A perfect combo!

I love Greece, but have not visited Ephesus.

Nadia January 20, 2011 at 9:08 pm

this salad is stunning, i love it! I need to make a trip to Turkey soon, inshallah. I’ve been wanting to for ages!

Soma January 21, 2011 at 1:07 am

Love the salad, love the plate (and the plating) and the style. Sara it is just gorgeous in every way! and I want to go to Turkey.

tasteofbeirut January 21, 2011 at 2:06 am

You made me want to jump on a plane and go to visit this town in Turkey; I love Turkey dearly and want to go back many times. I also love the salad, how refined and delicious and your photos and styling is always a pleasure to the eyes.

Lani January 21, 2011 at 3:07 am

I just love love love reading about the history of the place this recipe was inspired by, as well as the gorgeous photographs. I love how I usually have most of these ingredients on hand yet it makes such an impressive looking salad. Thanks for taking us to these wonderful places with your photos and recipes!

Sara January 21, 2011 at 3:36 am

Thanks Winnie, Rosa, Nadia, Soma Joumana & Lani! You guys NEED to go to Turkey! It’s a beautiful country!!! :)

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate January 21, 2011 at 12:06 pm

We loved Ephesus when we went. Unfortunately we didn’t have enough time. It is fairly near Izmir, the town from where Giuliano’s ancestors are from. Your photos made me want to return and the salad is delightful. I like pomegranates but always weigh the difficulty of seeding with the pleasure of eating. I think this salad will be worth it.

Faith January 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm

What an elegant salad, Sara! And I love the addition of sumac for its tartness!

Nisrine|Dinners & Dreams January 22, 2011 at 1:45 am

Turkey is on my list of must-visit countries. Labneh is so delicious. Topped with all these delicious ingredients it looks simply mouth-watering. I will make it soon!

Sara January 22, 2011 at 4:32 am

Thank you Lael, Faith & Nisrine!

Jamie January 22, 2011 at 4:16 pm

What beautiful photos! And the salad is stunning! Wow, a work of art almost too pretty to eat if it didn’t look so delicious. I really need to let you inspire me into using more exotic ingredients.

Tanvi@SinfullySpicy January 22, 2011 at 7:26 pm

You have plated your salad beautifully Sara.I got introduced to Sumac recently and loved it.Sounds great with apples.Have a nice weekend.

Lora @cakeduchess January 23, 2011 at 2:39 am

Ciao Sara! This is one lovely salad!I could eat labneh every day. Will have to try your recipe. Such pretty photos also of Turkey! I hope to visit one day;)

Ameena January 23, 2011 at 3:57 am

I am so envious of your trip to beautiful Turkey! It looks like a wonderful place to visit and I’m glad you brought back this wonderful dish idea with you. I love dates and apples together. The combination is simply divine!

Sanura at MyLifeRunsOnFood.com January 24, 2011 at 4:29 am

This is a lovely and flavorful salad. The combination is gorgeous.

lindentea February 16, 2011 at 11:30 am

Sara, I have been to Kusadasi years ago, what a lovely place, I hope I can visit again, meanwhile I really enjoyed your photos and post. The salad looks absolutely fantastic!

sare February 22, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hi, Sara. Thank you for your complimants for my beautifiul- beloved country.
Your photos and your recipes are great. Since then I’d like to follow your writing- recipes…
I’m from Türkiye. I’ve been living in Adana for 2 years.
Thank you for sharing.