Tuscan Style Vegetable Soup

Post image for Tuscan Style Vegetable Soup

by Sara on December 27, 2010

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas with your family and loved ones. Day after Christmas day we had a Blizzard warning here in the northeast, which meant stuck at home for at least a day. I immediately started thinking about what I’m going to make on a freezing cold snow day. A Tuscan style vegetable soup came to mind. I love this Tuscan style vegetable soup, its healthy & nutritious, also warms you up in no time.

An Italian soup which was favorite of the Romans. A frugal soup with simple yet nutritious ingredients, which is not so heavy on the wallet.

I used a homemade chicken stock which I made with boiling chicken breasts with bones, onions & garlic in a pressure cooker. I kept the flavors of the broth neutral, so I can freeze it and use it for a later use for  soups & risotto recipes.

This vegetbale soup is full of vegetables and cannelloni beans, a good way to clean up your refrigerator and use up all of the veggies instead of going to waste. I used canned cannelloni beans which give the soup a creamy texture and a hearty taste.

foodwanderings December 27, 2010 at 11:59 pm

A hearty soup great for dreary blustery day like today! Thanks for sharing Sara abd Happy & Healthy New 2011 for you and your loved ones.

Barbara @ Vino Luci Style December 28, 2010 at 12:10 am

Sounds perfect Sara; I’m ready for a diet filled with soups and salads to balance the craziness of the holidays and this looks wonderful.

Wishing a wonderful New Year for you too; let’s find time to connect soon, OK? XOXO

rebecca December 28, 2010 at 12:33 am

wow lovely soup stay warm :-)

Sara December 28, 2010 at 12:36 am

Thank you Shulie, Barb & Rebecca! :)

Lani December 28, 2010 at 7:17 am

Oh, I cannot wait to try this soup! It sounds like it’s a great way to get kids to eat their veggies too!

Laura December 28, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Looks great, but as long as you have a pressure cooker, you can pre-cook dry beans in it, too!

I love the photo!

L

hip pressure cooking
making pressure cookers hip again, one recipe at a time!

Kimba's Kitchen December 30, 2010 at 1:45 am

Hi Sara! Lots of wonderful dishes you’ve cooked up while I was away for 10 days!!! This soup looks so wonderfully comforting, I must bookmark this recipe for our colder nights in winter middle of the year. Yes, we are in completely opposite seasons at the moment, lol. It’s boiling hot here… lovely 28 degrees today. Summer in Melbourne is unpredictable though, we still have cold-ish days randomly which is a good break :)

Lora @cakeduchess December 30, 2010 at 3:41 am

Ciao Sara! Your soup looks warm and comforting. I bet it was delizioso! Your photos are beautiful, as always:) I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year. I’m so happy we met this past year. Xoxoxo

Rosa December 30, 2010 at 11:30 pm

A perfect Winter soup! So warming, comforting and highly enjoyable.

Happy New Year!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen December 31, 2010 at 10:44 am

This sounds perfect! During the winter I pretty much subsist on dinners of chunky vegetable soups that I throw together with whatever veggies I have on hand, the more the better and this soup is packed full of veggies! I look forward to trying this out soon.

Have a Happy New Year.

Kevin (Closet Cooking) January 2, 2011 at 11:58 am

This soup would be both healthy and tasty!