Spicy Stir Fried Udon Noodles with Veggies

Post image for Spicy Stir Fried Udon Noodles with Veggies

by Sara Hafiz on December 3, 2010

I crave noodles at least few times a week. Noodles of any shape or form are A-OK with me, I love them all. I had a conversation with a friend once about what would be our last meal on this earth. Of course you guessed it I said noodles, which surprised most of my friends who chose things like chocolate, lobster, steak, etc. I know I was the odd one, but I really love all noodles.

Any kind of pasta, rice noodles, soba noodles, lo mein noodles, & udon noodles are my favorites. I love soups with noodles like Pho & Laksa. I’m an equal opportunity noodle lover!

Spicy stir fried udon noodles with veggies is my dinner at least few times a week. I boil the udon noodles separately and stir fry the veggies in a wok. You can use any veggie of your choice, I happen to love broccoli, which is always present in my refrigerator at all times. You can also use veggies like baby bok choy, mushrooms & carrots.

I love using spicy chili paste called Sambal Oelek in all of my stir fry recipes along with soy sauce & a tiny bit of ketchup to give the dish a slight sweetness. Surprisingly ketchup adds another dimension to the taste of a stir fry dish. I think you can make this recipe in less than thirty minutes which is perfect for a quick, easy & very healthy home cooked dinner rather than calling in a take out!

marla {family fresh cooking} December 3, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I could also put noodles high on my list of “final foods.” Your stir fry is so vibrant & pretty. The addition of ketchup is very interesting, I gotta try that! xo

Nadia December 3, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Yum! I noticed your many tweets about udon noodles and thought to myself, “that girl really loves Udon!” LOL

but what’s not to love-they are delicious. love your pics!
and I think the ketchup might be the desi influence, am I right? ;)

Lani December 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm

You are my noodle hero. My noodle soulmate. :) I agree with the addition of ketchup to this and other stir fries or even fried rice. I think the vinegar and the charred sweetness it imparts is really impressive. Thanks for the recipe.

Sara December 3, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Thanks Marla, Nadia, & Lani! We are noodle buddies! :) )

Soma December 3, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Yes spicy and yes noodles. Looks so good and comforting.

Shivani December 4, 2010 at 12:29 am

one of my favorite

Domenicacooks December 4, 2010 at 1:43 am

Sara, my 12-year-old daughter and I have been salivating over your gorgeous photos. This looks absolutely delicious & I look forward to trying it.

Ameena December 4, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I’m so glad I caught your update on Facebook and I finally had a chance to come by and check out this recipe. It looks divine Sara! I love the addition of the ketchup – I’m sure it totally brings this sauce to a whole new level.

I’m writing this down as soon as I click submit. :)

foodwanderings December 4, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I definitely need to adopt this colorful flavorful dish into our midweek routine stat! Gorgeous pics as usual Sara!! Lovely post! I see you are going to have cooking classes, can’t wait to hear more about that!! Have a wonderful weekend. Shulie

tasteofbeirut December 5, 2010 at 6:52 am

This dish of udon noodles makes me want to revise my feelings on these types of noodles and give them another try! looks amazing and your photos are always beautiful

Jamie December 6, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Oooh I could eat something like this four times a week! Gorgeous, fresh, flavorful and I love Udon noodles better than any other. What a perfect recipe (and good for mister’s diet! Yay!)

Lora @cakeduchess December 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Bella Sara-these noodles! Oh my goodness! They look amazing even at this early hour. I would eat a plate right now! Your blog looks fantastic, btw. You did a great job w/all the changes. Gorgeous dish!!!

Faith December 6, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I can absolutely see how this would be one of your go-to meals, Sara! It’s full of goodies and looks super flavorful!

branny December 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm

This is a meal I know I would love. Yum!

Cherine December 10, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Looks so good! yummy

Nisrine@dinners & dreams December 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Sara, I know you like broccoli and there is so much of it in this dish. One day I’ll start liking it too–maybe in another life :)

Deeba December 14, 2010 at 8:45 am

How absolutely yum! Not sure if we get Udon noodles here but this combination would go well with others too. Love the burst of fresh colours!

Ruby Slater January 2, 2011 at 12:16 am

YUM! I had to replace udon noodles with regular chow mein noodles due to the fact that my local store is stripped of its regular stock this time of year, but all turned out perfect!

Cookie and Kate January 5, 2011 at 1:26 am

Sara, our recipes were featured in the same ReadyMade post! This stir fry recipe is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I got a wok for Christmas and just happened to buy all the ingredients listed above at an Asian supermarket. Can’t wait to try it out. And ketchup in stir fry? I never would have thought of that!

JulieD February 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm

How did I miss this? I love noodles too and pho is my favorite of course. I’m definitely trying this recipe…I love udon noodles and have never had it in a stir fry before! Thank you!

Parker Carpenter March 28, 2012 at 6:52 pm

going to try this now except im a huge ginger fan and i think the ginger will go nicely with this dish, ill tell you how it goes…excellent recipe tho

Sara Hafiz March 29, 2012 at 12:54 am

Thank you & let me know how it turns out!