Post image for Winter Squash Soufflé w/Dark Amber Maple Syrup & Grana Padano Cheese{An Elegant Thanksgiving Side Dish}

by Sara on November 19, 2010

Of course Turkey is the Ahem…King {or Queen} of one of my most favorite holidays, Thanksgiving! My mom & I have the same conversation about this time every year…”what sides should we make with our turkey?” We always end up making the same ole sides every single year, which I love, especially my mom’s bread pudding stuffing, the creamiest of mashed potatoes and always corn and some green vegetable, usually green beans.

This year for our Thanksgiving dinner I wanted to give our side dishes…ummm how you say ” une touche élégantes”, an elegant touch! What else has more elegance & is impressive as a French Souffle’. Yes a Souffle’. A light, fluffy baked dish made with egg yolks and beaten egg whites combined with various other ingredients and served as a main dish or sweetened as a dessert…or now a side dish!

I had heard of a cheese souffle’, so I decided to add the Grana Padano cheese in my Souffle’ recipe. I wanted to add a seasonal squash or pumpkin but decided to use a winter squash which is abundantly available at the markets these days. Roasted winter squash & dark amber pure maple syrup added a rich sweetness to the souffle’ which gave this souffle’ a unique earthy flavor. I also added spices like cinnamon & nutmeg for an extra depth of flavor.

recipe inspired by epicurious.com

Nisrine@dinners & dreams November 19, 2010 at 2:02 am

Wow, Sara. This is such an elegant soufflé and perfect for the holidays!! I can imagine the cheese and maple syrup tasting wonderful together.

Miriam/The Winter Guest November 19, 2010 at 8:37 am

Looks divine! I liked the idea of using the soup bowls to make a souffle, I have the same ones!

Sonia{7spice} November 19, 2010 at 8:50 am

OMG! this soufflé looks so divine and making me hungry now. love the blending taste of cheese+maple syrup+squash and spices. it must be heavenly!

Kimba's Kitchen November 19, 2010 at 12:31 pm

A very elegant Thanksgiving side dish indeed!! Absolutely beautiful :)

Sara November 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Thanks for your comments Miriam, Nisrine, Sonia & Kimba! Souffle’ turned out pretty good!

marla {family fresh cooking} November 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Sara, Great recipe. I would even eat this souffle as a breakfast as well. I have been meaning to experiment with souffles for the holidays & this looks like the perfect place to start :)

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate November 19, 2010 at 2:09 pm

It is so hard to not write “looks delicious” on your recipes. They truly do! I’m trying to think of side dish recipes for the Thanksgiving meal and I believe, with your help, I’ve found a winner. Grazie.

Nadia November 19, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving? Please! :D

Faith November 19, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I love the elegance of this side, Sara! We’ve been looking for a couple new things to serve too and this looks just perfect. :)

Sara November 19, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Thank you Lael, Marla, Nadia, & Faith!

foodwanderings November 19, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Hi Sara, Love this elegant souffle. The consistency and presentation look superb!! Have a great weekend! Shulie

Sara November 20, 2010 at 2:11 am

Thanks Shulie! You too..Have a nice weekend! Thanks for visiting!

Jamie November 24, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Oooh what gorgeous soufflés! I love the squash grana combination and the individual soufflés truly are très élégant! Happy holiday!

Brittany November 14, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I’ve been looking for a winter squash souffle. This one sounds good. Do you think adding toasted pecans is a bad idea? For some reason I feel like I might want to add a crunch??

Sara November 15, 2011 at 1:04 am

Thank you for your comment and I think adding pecans is a great idea! :)