Roasted Lamb Shanks in Flavorful Thai Flavors topped w/Creamy Coconut Gravy

Post image for Roasted Lamb Shanks in Flavorful Thai Flavors topped w/Creamy Coconut Gravy

by Sara on November 8, 2010

I’m always experimenting with combining different flavors together. I love the complex flavors of Thai cuisine which manage to always tantalize our taste buds with spicy, sour, salty & sweet goodness. Now pair these distinct flavors with juicy &  succulent flavors of lamb, it was a match made in heaven.

I feel fortunate to live near an awesome Thai grocery store which happens to be right next to an uber awesome middle eastern grocery & butcher shop. Am I lucky or what!

I picked up a pair of lamb shanks from my middle eastern butcher shop and started thinking how I would cook them. I started thinking about the marinade, so I happen to conveniently walk over next door to the Thai grocery store. While at the store my senses were overpowered by the aroma of fresh Thai basil, lemongrass, kaffir lime & mint leaves. A light bulb went off in my head, it was right there I decided to marinated to lamb shanks in all Thai flavors. I added coconut milk to the marinade which gave the gravy a creamy rich taste.

I feel that lamb does have a ‘gamey’ flavor, in order to balance that unique lamb flavor, I marinated the lamb in a creamy, spicy, sour, savory & sweet paste bursting with Thai flavors. I slow roasted the lamb shanks for almost two hours, which intensifies all of the rich & exotic flavors together which also forms a delicious sauce to pour over the scrumptious lamb. Delicious!

I would serve  a side of coconut & lemongrass rice and steamed baby bok choy with this lamb dish.

Kimba's Kitchen November 8, 2010 at 5:05 am

Oh myyy… you’ve just activated an intense craving for lamb shanks! Looks heavenly!!!

Faith November 8, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I love how you came up with this dish…sometimes being at the market where you can see and smell everything is the perfect inspiration! This looks incredible, Sara!

Eliana November 8, 2010 at 3:44 pm

This looks stunning. The flavors in this dish are outstanding and literally making my mouth water right now.

Nadia November 8, 2010 at 5:55 pm

mmmmm, a very beautiful recipe! i’ve never had lamb with thai flavors and the way you described the contrasting flavors between the gaminess of the lamb and sweetness of the coconut really makes me want to try this winning combination!

Soma November 8, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I can just imagine the flavors here and almost taste it. I never thought of cooking lamb with the Thai way! The mint, kaffir lime and the lemon grass must have made it very very blissful.

Sara November 8, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I love all of my ethnic markets, they are so very inspirational! Thanks Faith!

Sara November 8, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Thank you Eliana!

Sara November 8, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Thanks Nadia!Try the Thai flavors with lamb, its a tasty combination!

Sara November 8, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Thanks Soma, my entire kitchen was filled with aroma of lemongrass & kaffir lime leaves!

Jamie November 9, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Utterly amazing recipe! Wow! And how I love lamb, game-iness and all, and love all the spicy, exotic flavors. You are so lucky to live near food shops like you do. I do need to come visit! Stunning recipe!

Sara November 9, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Jamie, please do visit me soon! :)

Bridgett November 9, 2010 at 5:23 pm

What a gorgeous combo of flavors. I am enjoying Thai more and more and I think these would go perfectly in my kitchen very soon! Thanks for sharing your lovely recipe. You always take such perfect photos too.

Sara November 10, 2010 at 2:23 am

Thanks Bridgett! xoxo

Steve Moore November 29, 2010 at 8:48 pm

My wife made the recipe this weekend – substituted brown sugar for Thai and some dried lemongrass for fresh(our oriental grocer was selling fresh in bundles of 5, too much waste!). The butcher had already cut the shanks partly into thirds, which helped flavors permeate. It is now my favorite Asian lamb shank recipe. Thanks, and we’ll try lots more from your website.
Steve

Sara November 30, 2010 at 5:37 am

Wow Steve! I’m sooo happy that you tried my recipe and best of all you were pleased with the end results! Please do try more of my recipes & visit my blog again! Thank you for your comment!