French Madeleines~Petits Gâteaux E’légante~ Little Elegant Cakes

Post image for French Madeleines~Petits Gâteaux E’légante~ Little Elegant Cakes

by Sara Hafiz on October 1, 2010

First time I tasted these delicious petite cakes was in Paris! I fell in love with Madeleines on the spot! I love how small & cute they are and just enough sweetness to satisfy my cravings. Madeline’s are Petite French cakes with distinctive shell shapes. Rich and buttery that are soft and moist with lightly crisped edge.

I have always been intrigued by these petits gâteaux élégante- tiny elegant cakes. After some research I learned the rich History and was inspired by folk legends and romance of Madeleines. In France, they are most often linked to the town of Commercy, in the region of Lorraine. A legend suggests King Stanislas Leszczynska sent the recipe for Madeleine to his daughter Maria following her marriage to Louis XV at Versailles. She named it for her father’s French cook, Madeleine.

And in Spain, the magdalenas, resemblance to the Madeleines, are created to mark the Christian pilgrimage route that ends in Santiago de Compostela, in which sea scallops are the symbol most closely associated with this journey.

Wow who knew that these elegant petite cakes had such a rich History !

Recipe Adapted from: BBC Good Food Magazine

Nadia October 1, 2010 at 3:19 pm

so darling! love the champs-elysees box and postcard!

i’m glad this batch of madeleines were a success, seems like you’ve got a hold on baking now! :) could dip them into a cup of hot tea. yum!

Faith October 1, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Madeleines are probably the most elegant little cakes I can think of! Yours are really lovely…I’m adding a Madeleine mold to my wish list! ;)

marla {family fresh cooking} October 2, 2010 at 12:30 pm

These look just beautiful on Foodgawker this morning. Wish I had a few of these Madeleines to munch on today. xo

Sara October 2, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Thank you Marla, Faith & Nadia! :)

Nichole October 3, 2010 at 3:18 am

Oh my goodness. These look so good. Madeleines always remind me of my mom, they are her favorite!

Soma October 4, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I am such a scaredy cat when it comes to baking something new.The list is ingredients sounds simple but i am still not sure if I can pull these off. They look so beautiful I feel like giving them a try.

Sara October 4, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Soma, If I can bake these Madeleines, you certainly can! I’m not a baker!

Vanille October 5, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Your madeleines look deliciously light ! Your pics make me crave for some now…

Eliana October 7, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Madelines are my new favorite cookie. I made them for the first time recently and love their delicate texture. Only problem is that I can never eat just one! And I think I would have the same problem with yours Sara because they look super delicious.

FoodWandeings October 8, 2010 at 2:29 am

Hi Sara, These Madeleines are so gorgeous I wish I had some with my tea now!! Love you blog! Shulie

Sara October 8, 2010 at 2:33 am

Thank you Shulie for visiting my blog! xoxo :)

Jamie October 8, 2010 at 8:36 am

I am entraced by your beautiful styling and photography. I have long wanted to make traditional madeleines. Yours are perfect!

Amelia from Z Tasty Life November 18, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I love how you packaged them…so old world.

Priya January 2, 2011 at 10:15 am

Hi
Thankyou for the recipe! I tried it out tonight but ended up with a little more than 2 dozen madeleines for the quantity of ingredients that you list above! I have the standard pan that makes regular sized dozen madeleines. It tasted very good though. I was curious because you mention that your ingredients make one dozen…??

Regards,
Priya.

Sara January 3, 2011 at 1:58 am

Hi Priya, I’m glad you tried my recipe! I think my madeleines pans are much larger than the regular size…I actually prefer the smaller size pans! Perhaps that was the reason I only ended up with a dozen cookie.

dollhouse miniatures May 28, 2011 at 9:18 am

I stumbled upon your website by chance, because I was looking for french madeleines inspiration for my miniature work. I’m in awe of the beautiful packaging and your photography styling! I’m actually hungry now looking at it. I’ll be attempting to make them in dollhouse miniature scale!

You’re an inspiration. :)