Fresh Figs w/ Orange Blossom Honey & Toasted Walnuts

Post image for Fresh Figs w/ Orange Blossom Honey & Toasted Walnuts

by Sara on August 23, 2010

Figs topped with orange blossom honey and roasted walnuts, pure Heaven!!! When I visited Morocco this past June, I saw bounty of beautiful figs in every Souk ~ a market in Arabic.  I learned that Moroccans love figs and use it in many desserts. They also believe that figs aid digestion so, when in season, they are often served fresh at the end of a meal. I used Orange Blossom honey but in Morocco they use many different varieties of scented honey, such as thyme, lavender and the honey of 1000 flowers (mille-fleurs). There is also a special honey called jbal that is particularly sweet and delicate as it is made by bees that only feast on figs. I feel figs are such an ancient and significant fruit that it was even mentioned in the Bible & the Quran. The biblical quote “each man under his own vine and fig tree”  has been used to denote peace and prosperity. The Quran mentioned figs and then the Prophet Muhammad [s] stated, “If I had to mention a fruit that descended from paradise. Wow not too many fruits have this much valor and importance. We are fortunate that this fruit of such magnitude is still grown and countries like Turkey and Egypt are top producers of figs!

~A Bounty of Figs, Fresh & Dried ones in the Fez Medina~

~Recipe Adapted from Flavors of Morocco~

INGREDIENTS:

4-5 Fresh Figs

3 tablespoons of Honey

2 tablespoons of toasted crushed walnuts

METHOD:

Cut, Toast, Drizzle and Eat Immediately! :)

Faith August 23, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I think eating fresh, ripe figs is a completely sensual experience! This dish looks perfect!

dinners & dreams August 23, 2010 at 11:33 pm

The preparation of these figs is quite beautiful. I’ll have to try it next time I get my hands on some figs. I love the plate and glasses. Are they from Morocco?

Sara August 24, 2010 at 12:53 am

Thanks Faith! Yes I know what you mean, there is something mysterious about figs! :)

Sara August 24, 2010 at 12:59 am

Thank you Nisrine! By the way looking forward to your cookbook and will try to make some of the recipes and post them on my blog! :)
Right now my local gourmet grocery store and middle eastern markets are overflowing with these beautiful California figs, which is wonderful!!! If you want I can ship you some?! :) Yes the glasses are from Fez, bought 6 but only 4 survived.. :( & for the plate its from a Moroccan gift shop in Philadelphia!

Nadia August 24, 2010 at 7:15 pm

oooh, simple and delicious. i loved the honey in Morocco the taste was sooo different.

Sara August 24, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Thanks Nadia! I never used to eat fresh figs only the dried ones! honey was great…I’m also loving the orange blossom water!

deana@lostpastremembered August 25, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I just fell in love with the photo.. and such a great simple dessert… wonderful!

Sara August 25, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Thank you Deana!

rachid October 9, 2010 at 8:25 am

hello guys ! i am from morocco and excatly from Jbil which is the north of morocco . i just want you to know that this region has the best quality of fig , grape , honey and another fruit called hindiya in the world . i tried all these things in canada but does not taste like ours .
the time of these fruits last between the begnning of july till the end of the december , and for Fig there are too many different kinds of it white , black , brown and all have diffent names beside the color names .
the people of this region eat it alot more than anything in the summer time . it is obligatory to be in the morning as a breakfast but some people like me i would love to eat every time when i need to it .